Thursday, February 7, 2008

Blog Assignment 1


I hope this isn't too weird, but the object I chose to represent an aspect of my identity is my antique hand. I have this exact one shown in this picture. As I said in class when I presented my artifact (which was an antique pill box), I love antiquing! Whenever I travel to a new town or somewhere old-timey I am the first person to spot an antique shop and instantly be inside exploring. I love to find weird and/or odd things, I'm fascinated by them.

I have a small collection of interesting pieces that I have picked up along the way, for example a phrenology head and another hand, this one for displaying jewelry. The hand is displayed on a shelf in my room that it is clearly visible to all, and whenever anyone comes into my room, they immediately go straight for the hand. Some of my friends think it's creepy; a large while hand chilling on my shelf, but I love how it adds to the personality of the room, my personality that is.

I began antiquing with my dad when I was younger. It was a cool way for he and I to bond, for we both like to learn about the history of objects we find in old shops. My hand doesn't look as white and new as the hand in this picture which makes me wonder, who had the hand before me, and why did that person have it? I found this hand at a shop in Glen Burnie Maryland:
The Neatest Little Shop

This hand is also interesting to me because it has to do with palmistry or Palm Reading. That sort of thing has always been fascinating to me and to have an object that represents it is pretty cool. Well, I think so anyway.

My object isn't the most practical of things I suppose. I can't use it, or play with it. I can only display it. It's a piece of art that's meant to be seen. The hand is a very cool thing, we use our hands all the time for everything! It's no wonder artists create things like my hand, because
hands are such an important part of human existence and symbolizing it's greatness makes sense.

This antique is one of my favorite things, and I chose to write about for that fact. I had a hard time figuring out what to write about because I wasn't sure what object I identified with. This hand isn't just something that gathers dust on my self, it's something that evokes curiosity in the observer and makes for great conversation. Therefore, though it may be a weird thing to talk about, it's a very neat thing to inquire about.

1 comment:

Eric said...

I think that it is wonderful that you found such a unique way of spending time with your father. I can only imagine how much time that can take up in which so much time is spent between you two. Through all of the investigatory work, finding out just were such artifacts come from and originated. I can only assume that you find some really great topics that sprout from these antiques. I personally think that I missed the opportunity to find a hobby of my own that could have given me more opportunities to spend more time with my parents and or siblings. If you do however get the chance maybe you can elaborate on some of the antiques that you have discovered and their stories that have been established. Possibly even going into the way that you and your father found then and convey the entire story of the antique.