
What is the one thing you see the most of besides students in a classroom? No, I'm not talking about cell phones or iPods. I'm talking about notebooks. Think about it. When the professor is lecturing, what are we doing? We're taking notes in our notebooks. Looking around my classes, I see that every single person has a notebook. You see an occasional laptop here or there, but for the most part, we live in a ocean of notebooks. Some people have one or two for their classes but if you're like me, I have one for every class, each a different color, and I know, NERD ALERT!
The history of the notebook dates back to accent Rome, where leaves were sewn together and used as a ledger. The first real mainstream notebook with spiral binding was invented in the 1930's and since then the notebook as been unstoppable. There are tons of different brands of notebooks, some that coast more then a notebook should and some that go for about .99 cents. They come in lots of sizes, are wide ruled or college ruled, and can have plain covers or interesting covers. For example, I saw a Jack Sparrow notebook at Target, which I really wanted to get for my friend because she loves him, but that's off topic, moving on! The average notebook consists of cardboard, paper and other such materials that are described here.
The notebook is representative of the college culture. As students we go from class to class schlepping around our books and most importantly our notebooks so we won't miss anything our professors says in lecture. Notebooks play a key role, for when the time comes to study for an exam or test, those notes come in handy. Then again, the notebook isn't just for students. People use notebooks for all sorts of reasons. Some use it as a journal, filling it with their innermost thoughts, when others use it as a sketch pad, letting their drawings fill the pages. Notebooks also can define our personalties if we so wish. We doodle on the cover or decorate it to show who we are and what we like. Sometimes we even covet these books because we pour our heart and souls into them, whether it be taking notes or writing poems.
In high school my friend Leah and I had a “secret” notebook that we used to write notes back and forth in. Therefore, when we saw each other in the hall we'd pass it on so the other could read it and write back. We did it this way so we wouldn't get caught passing folded notes in class. Sure we should have been actually taking notes for class, but this was way more fun!

6 comments:
Ashley, I think you did a great job describing what a notebook is currently to college students and where it came from historically. Do you use your notebooks as journals or doodle pads? I think you could have personalized what the notebook means to you a little more.
Good idea on doing the notebook! Your so right that it is kind of taken for granted that almost everyone has a notebook ready to take down notes for every class. I also think it is interesting when you look around to see the different notebooks that people choose to get or how they decorate them. You brought up the Jack Sparrow notebook that you saw and if I saw someone with that I would know that they like him without really knowing anything about them. The secret notebook between you and your friend was a great idea by the way, I hated getting caught with notes in class that teacher would take away...the notebook would have saved me from detention countless times.
Good pick. I would never have thought to write a bout a notebook. I think you did a good job talking about the history of the notebook and how they are used for more than just notetaking by students. Mentionaing how people decorate notebooks was a good observation as well.
I loved your blog! Your voice was prevalent in every paragraph- even those regarding the history of the notebook.
I completely understand your obsession; I have different colored notebooks and folders for each of my classes!
I, also, loved the personal history concerning the "secret" notebook. I think all girls had that notebook at one point in their lives.
Well played, Katie, well played. The notebook is very easily taken for granted. I mean, afterall, it's just blank paper just waiting to be filled in. It is nice to see so many people still know how to write and do not have to rely so heavily on modern technologies like laptop computers. You have a very nice voice and I can tell this is a topic that is both near and dear to your heart. Maybe one day, you'll get to write the great American notebook.
I like how you used a notebook as a culture artifact. This is very true notebook are used throughout class on very level.
Post a Comment